5th October 2016
A new paper outlining the coming accounting requirements of IFRS 16 Leases has been published by Dr Michael Grüne of MGI Worldwide member firm Prof. Dr. Binder, Dr. Dr. Hillebrecht u.Partner GmbH, based in Stuttgart, Germany.
Completing a long-running project to overhaul lease accounting, IFRS 16 Leases will come into effect from January 1st 2019 and will impact all entities that lease assets, either as a lessee or lessor. The shift includes a fundamental change to the accounting for lessees as off-balance-sheet treatment in general will no longer be acceptable.
IFRS 16 will supersede IAS 17 (Leases), IFRIC 4 (Determining whether an Arrangement contains a Lease), SIC-15 (Operating Lease-Incentives) and SIC-27 (Evaluation the Substance of Transactions Involving the Legal Form of a Lease).
Essential information for MGI Worldwide members
The most pertinent information relating to lessees is:
- All leases to be accounted for on 'balance sheet' (except short-term and low-value asset leases) ensuring a single accounting model.
- Front-loading to become typical for lease expenses.
- Accounting change will have an impact on financial ratios and key performance indicators.
The most pertinent information relating to lessors is:
- Only minor changes from current IAS 17 (Leases) standard.
Other changes to be aware of:
- New guidance on sale and leaseback accounting.
- New disclosure rules.
- New definition of a lease will result in some arrangements previously classified as leases ceasing to be so, and vice versa.
For full details of the new IFRS 16 Lease standards and insight into how to best prepare for this change, you can read Dr Michael Grüne's paper in full HERE.
MGI Worldwide is a top 20 ranked global accounting network with some 5,000 independent auditors, accountants and tax experts in over 250 locations around the world.
3rd December 2020
New member DELOVOY PROFIL of Moscow, Russia, has produced an informative video to present itself to...
30th November 2020
With the global economy taking a hit due to this year’s pandemic and businesses around the world...
26th November 2020
Issued by Royal Decree in October 2020, the Sultanate of Oman has announced the introduction of...